Cathodic Protection Training
STI/SPFA’s Cathodic Protection Training (CP) course is focused on the real-world needs of individuals and companies that plan to conduct field testing of cathodic protection monitoring systems such as sti-P3® tanks.
Thousands of underground storage tanks (USTs) require the periodic monitoring of cathodic protection. Industry experts will show you the latest methods for monitoring and troubleshooting cathodic protection systems. This will enable your firm to help clients meet environmental compliance regulations.
The class requires a commitment of two full days with an approximate schedule of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m on day 1 and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on day 2, followed by an exam that typically takes 1-2 hours.
2024 Class Schedule
|Early Registration Deadline
|Regular Attendee Rate
|Regular Attendee Early Registration – early registration cut-offs listed on schedule and payment must be received 42 days prior to date of the class
|Government Employee and STI/SPFA Member Rate
|Government and STI/SPFA Member Early Registration Rate
Corrosion Basics - Taking the mystery out of the natural phenomenon of corrosion.
How Cathodic Protection Works - Showing how a technology can use the natural process of corrosion to protect structures such as underground storage tanks and piping.
Monitoring Cathodic Protection - Hands-on use of equipment to teach measurement methods such as structure-to-soil potential, and continuity testing.
Troubleshooting Techniques - Demonstrating how measurement techniques can impact test results. This class will also teach you how to conduct troubleshooting tests to help identify problems.
Regulatory Requirements - Establishing what local, state and federal regulators expect in regard to CP testing and reporting.
Hands on Demonstration - Priority will be given to hands on classroom demonstrations to clearly show how the testing should be conducted.
Field Testing - Taking classroom lessons and applying them in field – plan on getting dirty. The class will go to two tank sites.
The course also covers how to test impressed current systems, including instant off readings and shunt calculations.
Please read before registering:
- CP and AST certificate holders do not qualify for a STI/SPFA Member discount
- Limited number of spots are available for each course
- STI/SPFA is not responsible for any loss or damages incurred as a result of cancellation of a course by STI/SPFA for any reason. This includes, but is not limited to, airfare penalties.
- Prices for courses and products are subject to change without advance notice.
You must receive a passing grade on each portion of the exam in order to be certified.
The exam consist of three sections:
- Written exam
- Hands-on galvanic
- Hands-on impressed current system
Participants must receive a 75% to pass the written exam. The hands-on sections are pass/fail.
Cancellations, Refunds, Transfers, and Substitutions:
Paid registrations canceled at least 42 calendar days in advance of the event will receive a full refund less a 5% service fee. Paid registrations canceled 41 to 7 calendar days before an event will receive a refund of 50% of the registration cost. No refunds or credits will be granted on cancellation request received less than 7 calendar days before an event is to begin.
- Cancellations and refunds can be made through your registration link.
- Substitute request must be submitted in writing. Substitutes are permitted at the discretion of STI/SPFA.
- Transfer request must be submitted in writing and must include the class to which you are transferring. Transfers made 42 or more calendar days in advance will incur a $50.00 transfer fee. Transfers made 41 to 7 calendar days before the start of the event will incur a $150.00 transfer fee. Transfers are not allowed less than 7 calendar days before an event begins. The transfer fee will be assessed once the written request is received.
- Transferred registrations are not eligible for refunds of any amount.
Submit all written requests to Tiffany at firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to call 224-286-6321 with any questions or concerns.
- Continuing Education Units: Participants may receive 1.5 Continuing Education Units (1.5 CEUs) when they have passed the course.
- Tobacco Use: To assure the comfort and safety of all course participants, use of tobacco products in or during any STI class, examination, and/or lab activity is NOT permitted.
- Tax Deduction for Educational Expenses: Expenses incurred in attending a STI course may be tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
- Hotel Accommodations: Participants are responsible for making their own hotel reservations directly with the hotel.
- Meals and Refreshments: Participants are responsible for all meals.
Cathodic Protection Recertification Exam
An online exam is available for those Certified Cathodic Protection Testers whose certification have expired within 3 months or will expire shortly.