The STI/SPFA is a not-for-profit trade association representing the steel fabrication industry.
Since 1916, the Steel Tank Institute has been a creator of cutting-edge storage tank technology, consulting with government and third-party agencies to advocate for the highest standards. In 2004, the Steel Plate Fabricators Association joined with STI to increase the industry’s strength and impact for fabricators of field erected water storage tanks, steel water pipe, pressure vessels, and specialty steel products.
STI/SPFA is now identified by federal and state government, the broader steel industry, third-party agencies, and consumers as the organization best representing the steel fabrication industry. We are recognized for our leading tank technologies, storied history, active advocacy, and prominent activities and programs.
STI/SPFA will be the champion of steel storage tanks, pipe, pressure vessels, and other steel plate fabricated products.
STI/SPFA will promote and unite the steel plate fabricated products industry through standards development, education and communication.
STI Tank Technologies
STI/SPFA develops, licenses and updates shop fabricated tank technologies.
Technologies include essential features such as corrosion prevention, secondary containment, monitoring capability, and fire protection. Licensing of technologies, a mandatory quality assurance inspection program and annual educational seminars, as well as certification programs for AST Tank Inspectors and Cathodic Protection Testers are available. Many industry-specific standards have been developed, as well as technical papers, design software and spreadsheets.
Members and More
- Improvements in Steels Used in Oil and gas Processing Equipment Over the Last Half Century
- Underground Storage Tanks: A History
- Kennedy Tank: Since 1898–Five generations
- STI/SPFA History (April 2008)
- The History of SPFA
- Beginning of Steel Tank Institute
- Eaton Metal Products History
- The Story of Buried Steel Pipes and Tanks
- Field Erected Storage Tank Century Club
- Clay & Bailey Manufacturing: A Century’s Worth of Innovation
- Birth of STI-P3
- Advance Tank and Construction Co. History
Frequently Asked Questions
What is STI/SPFA?
Who is STI/SPFA?
What does STI/SPFA do?
STI/SPFA provides a wide range of services to the industry-leading suppliers and fabricators of steel tanks, pressure vessels, specialty products and piping for the petroleum, chemical, food and water storage industries. Through co-operative actions within the special interest Sections, STI/SPFA Members promote the benefits of steel as the material of choice for all of these applications by:
- Creating new technologies through research & development activities
- Developing industry standards, recommended practices and procedures which improve product performance and longevity, and promote best practices in manufacturing, quality inspection, installation and testing
- Promoting the strengths and benefits of steel, through educational outreach programs, certification programs for manufacturers as well as installers and testers, press releases and industry publications
- Advocating with OSHA, the EPA, and code and regulatory authorities in each market, to ensure the continued ability of the manufacturers to fabricate steel products, and to protect the health and safety of employees and the environment
- Providing educational opportunities, certification programs and professional recognition to companies achieving outstanding performance in the areas of safety, quality, sales and service to the industry
What is the Shop Fabricated Atmospheric Tank Section?
What is the Pipe Section?
What is the Field Erected Tank Section?
What is the Pressure Vessel Section?
Who are Affiliate Members of STI/SPFA?
The Affiliate Members of STI/SPFA provide technical expertise, products, materials and/or services, to the steel tank, pipe and vessel manufacturing industry. Affiliate Members of STI/SPFA include the major steel suppliers, coating manufacturers and fabricators of components, fittings and testing equipment and other products, as well as the providers of engineering, inspection and testing services, and providers of insurance coverage to the steel fabricating industry. The group actively encourages participation in annual meetings, recommends expert speakers and gives technical presentations. Affiliate Members sponsor educational events, offer intensive tours of their manufacturing facilities, and provide invaluable technical expertise and support in the manufacturing process as well as in the development of standards for the industry. Affiliate Members are actively involved in participation with relevant industry code authorities including AISI, NACE, SSPC and NFPA, etc.
How do I Join?
Can I get a Reciprocal Link to your Site?
STI/SPFA links only to its members, or to industry code and regulatory agencies which are directly connected with our areas of interest and dedication.
Can I purchase your mailing list?
STI/SPFA does not sell its membership list.
K-TIG is an advanced GTAW technology that reduces multi-hour welds to just minutes whilst retaining the sort after high quality of conventional TIG processes. In addition to speed advantages the K-TIG technology significantly reduces power, gas consumption and labour costs.www.k-tig.com
“Membership has helped shape Kennedy Tank & Manufacturing and sets us up well for the future.”
Kennedy Tank & Manufacturing Company, Inc.