Cathodic Protection Training
Learn how to monitor a UST Cathodic Protection (CP) System in STI/SPFA’s CP Class!
This certification program offers a practical approach for those wanting to become CP testers and for those who simply want to understand readings.
Review the class information, available dates, requirements, prices, and contact info below.
Thousands of underground storage tanks (USTs) require the periodic monitoring of cathodic protection. Industry experts will show you the latest methods for monitoring and troubleshooting cathodic protection systems. This will enable your firm to help clients meet environmental compliance regulations.
The course is focused on the real-world needs of individuals and companies that plan to conduct field testing of cathodic protection monitoring on systems such as sti-P3® tanks.
2024 Cathodic Protection Course Schedule
|Class Dates||City||State||Early Registration Deadline||Registration Status|
|April 2024||Urbandale or Johnston||IA||TBD||Closed|
2023 Cathodic Protection Training Course Schedule
Wait List and Education Connection
Class seats are limited. Please register early. If the class you are seeking is closed and you would like to be placed on our waiting list, please contact Tiffany Multra at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Daily Class Schedule
Day 1: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Day 2: 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM
The exam is given at the end of the last training day and typically takes 1-2 hours.
- This course will certify qualifying participants as cathodic protection testers of underground storage tanks.
- Obtain STI certification for testing UST cathodic protection systems.
- Build your customer relationships by helping their organizations to meet regulatory requirements.
- Learn practical troubleshooting techniques for UST systems.
- Take advantage of a course that provides your firm with testing know-how from the experts.
Taking the mystery out of the natural phenomenon of corrosion.
How Cathodic Protection Works
Showing how a technology can use the natural process of corrosion to protect structures such as underground storage tanks and piping.
Monitoring Cathodic Protection
Hands-on use of equipment to teach measurement methods such as structure-to-soil potential, and continuity testing.
Demonstrating how measurement techniques can impact test results. This class will also teach you how to conduct troubleshooting tests to helpidentify problems.
Establishing what local, state and federal regulators expect in regards to CP testing and reporting.
Hands on Demonstration
Priority will be given to hands on classroom demonstrations to clearly show how the testing should be conducted.
Taking classroom lessons and applying them in field – plan on getting dirty. The class will go to two tank sites.
The course also covers how to test impressed current systems, including instant off readings and shunt calculations.
STI/SPFA offers the following discounts: Early Registration, Government Employee/State Regulator, STI/SPFA Fabricator Member. The early registration discount payment must reach our office 42 days prior to the date of the class, otherwise the full amount applies. It is the responsibility of the registrant to submit payment in a timely manner. Membership description can be found at the bottom of this page.
2 Day Training Rates
Regular Attendee Rate
Regular Attendee Early Registration Rate
Government Employee and STI/SPFA Fabricator/Affiliate Member Rate
Government Employee and STI/SPFA Fabricator/Affiliate Member Early Registration Rate
Government Employee Discount
STI/SPFA Member Discount
If your company is not a member of STI/SPFA, please do not select STI/SPFA Member rates. STI/SPFA Fabricator Members are companies that pay yearly dues to STI/SPFA and typically produce steel storage tanks, field erected water tanks, pressure vessels and heat exchangers, pipe and pipelines. STI/SPFA Affiliate Members are companies that pay yearly dues to STI/SPFA and are engaged in the business of supplying components, materials, or services for fabrication of steel products.
CP and AST certificate holders do not qualify for the Fabricator Member discount.
If you are not a fabricator or supplier, but need to stay on top of the latest industry news, we also offer Industry Associate status. Download an Industry Associate Status Application for additional information.
If you would like more information about joining STI/SPFA, please contact Katie Bruce at 847-550-3833 or by email at email@example.com.
Attendance and Payment
Attendance at courses is limited. Please register early as courses fill up quickly. Advance registration accompanied by fee payment in full is required to guarantee your reservation. Payment in full is due at the time of registration. STI regrets that it cannot be responsible for any loss or damages incurred as a result of cancellation of a course by STI for any reason. This includes, but is not limited to, airfare penalties. Prices for courses and products are subject to change without advance notice.
You must receive a passing grade on each portion of the exam in order to be certified.
The exam consist of three sections:
- Written exam
- Hands-on galvanic
- Hands-on impressed current system
Participants must receive a 75% to pass the written exam. The hands-on sections are pass/fail.
A waiver and release of liability must be downloaded and submitted prior to attending a training class or check the box of terms and conditions on the waiver page during the online registration process.
STI regrets that it cannot be responsible for any loss or damages incurred as a result of cancellation of a course by STI for any reason. This includes, but is not limited to, airfare penalties. Prices for courses and products are subject to change without advance notice.
Cancellations, Refunds, Transfers, and Substitutions:
Paid registrations canceled at least 42 calendar days in advance of the event will receive a full refund less a 5% service fee. Paid registrations canceled 41 to 7 calendar days before an event will receive a refund of 50% of the registration cost. No refunds or credits will be granted on cancellation request received less than 7 calendar days before an event is to begin.
· Cancellations and refunds can be made through your registration link.
· Substitute request must be submitted in writing. Substitutes are permitted at the discretion of STI/SPFA.
· Transfer request must be submitted in writing and must include the class to which you are transferring. Transfers made 42 or more calendar days in advance will incur a $50.00 transfer fee. Transfers made 41 to 7 calendar days before the start of the event will incur a $150.00 transfer fee. Transfers are not allowed less than 7 calendar days before an event begins. The transfer fee will be assessed once the written request is received.
· Transferred registrations are not eligible for refunds of any amount.
- Continuing Education Units: Participants may receive 1.5 Continuing Education Units (1.5 CEUs) when pass this course.
- Tobacco Use: To assure the comfort and safety of all course participants, use of tobacco products in or during any STI class, examination, and/or lab activity is NOT permitted.
- Tax Deduction for Educational Expenses: Expenses incurred in attending a STI course may be tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
- Hotel Accommodations: Participants are responsible for making their own hotel reservations directly with the hotel.
- Meals and Refreshments: Participants are resonsible for all meals.
An online exam for Certified Cathodic Protection Testers whose certifications have expired within 3 months or will expire shortly.
Commercial Metal Forming is the nation’s leading manufacturer of tank heads and tank accessories. Contact us today to find out why we believe we are ahead of the curve.www.cmforming.com
“Networking with members and staff provides valuable opportunities for relationship building and a network for our new product development and sales efforts.”
Morrison Bros. Co.