SP001 Aboveground Tank System Inspector Training
Thank you for your interest in the STI SP001 AST Inspector Training Course!
The STI SP001 Aboveground Tank System Inspector Training will enable you to:
- Build your customer relationships by helping their organizations to meet regulatory requirements.
- Obtain STI certification for inspecting shop-fabricated aboveground tanks, portable containers and small field-erected tanks.
- Learn practice techniques for AST inspectors.
- Take advantage of a course that provides your firm with testing know-how, from the experts!
This certification expires after five (5) years.
SP001 Course Schedule
**To see the class location or to check availability, click on registration button below.
|Class Dates||City||State||Early Registration Deadline||Registration Status|
|December 4 – 8, 2023 (Both In-person and Remote sessions are available)||Baltimore||MD||October 23||Open|
|March 11-15, 2024 (Both In-person and Remote sessions are available)
||Baltimore||MD||Jan 29, 2024||Open|
|March 25-29, 2024||San Francisco||CA||Feb 12, 2024||Open|
|May 20-24, 2024 (Both In-person and Remote sessions are available)||Baltimore||MD||April 8, 2024||Open soon|
|August 5-9, 2024||Atlanta||GA||June 24, 2024||Open soon
|October 21-25, 2024||Long Beach||CA||Sept. 9, 2024||Open soon
|December 2-6, 2024 (Both In-person and Remote sessions are available)||Baltimore||MD||Oct. 21, 2024||Open soon
2023 SP001 Aboveground Tank System Inspector Training Course Schedule
Daily Class Schedule
Monday-Thursday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday: 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Daily sign-in is required. Lunch is on your own.
The exam has two parts. One part will be given Thursday afternoon and the other Friday afternoon. In order to obtain certification, you must score 80% total combined with no section under 70%.
- Professional Development Hours: Qualifies as General Education course; 36 PDH’s are awarded for the five-day course.
- Tobacco Use: To assure the comfort and safety of all course participants, use of tobacco products in or during any STI class, examination, and/or lab activity is NOT permitted.
- Tax Deduction for Educational Expenses: Expenses incurred in attending a STI course are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
- Hotel Accommodations: Participants are responsible for making their own hotel reservation directly with the hotel.
- Recertification: This certification expires after five (5) years. An online recertification examination is available.
- Attend all seminar sessions.
- Pass the examination given at the end of the course. A score of at least 80% is required for certification.
Course fee includes a course manual containing STI Standards and PEI RP-200 booklet. It does not include copies of standards from organizations outside STI. The presentation only hits highlights of the standards listed below and does not discuss them in detail. However, any tables from these standards needed for the exams are included in the binder. Most importantly, you will need copies of the standards in order to perform inspections.
Industry Experience Requirement
Documentation of related experience and education is required prior to enrolling in the course. Opportunity to provide this information is provided during the registration process.
- Bachelor of Science degree from accredited college or university and at least one year of experience, OR
- 2 year degree or certification in engineering or technology and at least two years of experience, OR
- High school diploma or equivalent and at least three years of experience.
- Construction, operation, and inspection and maintenance of steel storage tanks, pressure vessels, or steel piping systems.
Proof of Employment:
- Provide position title, brief description of responsibilities, supervisor’s name and company contact information.
Tank Fabrication Standards
Discussion of Steel Tank Institute, Underwriters Laboratories, and American Petroleum Institute standards and specifications for aboveground tanks.
Taking the mystery out of the natural phenomenon of corrosion. Identifying common areas of corrosion in aboveground tanks.
Demonstrating how various methods of NDT are used to identify the condition of aboveground tanks. Discussion of criteria for determination of acceptable tanks and those which require repair.
Establishing what local, state and federal regulators expect your customers to provide to meet reporting mandates.
Discussion of various fire codes used int he U.S. NFPA 30, 30A, Uniform Fire Code and International Fire Code. Emphasis on how tank systems must be installed to meet the fire codes.
Valves and Piping
Pressure or suction systems. Venting installation requirements. Vapor recovery systems. Appropriate materials for fueling. Use of valves per function, fire safety, isolation, etc.
Level control equipment, correct installation, “sticking” the tank.
Requirements of the National Electric Code relating to tank Installations.
Hands on Demonstration
Priority will be given to hands on demonstrations in the classroom of each type of equipment for better understanding of how each is designed and why it must be properly installed.
STI/SPFA offers the following discounts: Early Registration, Government Employee/State Regulator, STI/SPFA Fabricator Members. The early registration discount payment must reach our office 42 days prior to the date of the class, otherwise the full amount applies. It is the responsibility of the registrant to submit payment in a timely manner. Membership description can be found at the bottom of this page.
Private, on site classes are available for groups. Contact STI/SPFA Joe Mentzer at “firstname.lastname@example.org for a quote to perform a private class.42
|Remote Session (No discount available)||$2,595.00|
|In-person Session Rate below:|
|Regular Attendee Rate||$2,295.00|
|Regular Attendee Early Registration Rate||$2,095.00|
|Government Employee and STI/SPFA Member Rate||$2,095.00|
|Government Employee and STI/SPFA Member Early Registration Rate||$1,895.00|
Registration fees include, when applicable:
- STI reference book(s)
- Student notebook
- Course materials
- Certificate upon completion
Course participants are “on their own” for all meals. Note that copies of standards from organizations outside STI (such as UL and API) are not included in the registration fee.
Government Employee Discount
The government discount is intended for members of the military or direct employees of federal, state and local governments. This discount does not extend to the contract service provider for a government entity.
STI/SPFA Member Discount
If your company is not a member of STI/SPFA, please do not select STI/SPFA Member rates. STI/SPFA Fabricator Members are companies that pay yearly dues to STI/SPFA and typically produce steel storage tanks, field erected water tanks, pressure vessels and heat exchangers, pipe and pipelines. STI/SPFA Affiliate Members are companies that pay yearly dues to STI/SPFA and are engaged in the business of supplying components, materials, or services for fabrication of steel products.
CP and AST certificate holders do not qualify for the Fabricator Member discount.
If you are not a fabricator or supplier, but need to stay on top of the latest industry news, we also offer Industry Associate status. Download an Industry Associate Status Application for additional information.
If you would like more information about joining STI/SPFA, please contact Katie Bruce at 847-550-3833 or by email at email@example.com.
STI regrets that it cannot be responsible for any loss or damages incurred as a result of cancellation of a course by STI for any reason. This includes, but is not limited to, airfare penalties. Prices for courses and products are subject to change without advance notice.
Cancellations, Refunds, Transfers, and Substitutions:
Paid registrations canceled at least 42 calendar days in advance of the event will receive a full refund less a 5% service fee. Paid registrations canceled 41 to 7 calendar days before an event will receive a refund of 50% of the registration cost. No refunds or credits will be granted on cancellation request received less than 7 calendar days before an event is to begin.
· Cancellations and refunds can be made through your registration link.
· Substitute request must be submitted in writing. Substitutes are permitted at the discretion of STI/SPFA.
· Transfer request must be submitted in writing and must include the class to which you are transferring. Transfers made 42 or more calendar days in advance will incur a $50.00 transfer fee. Transfers made 41 to 7 calendar days before the start of the event will incur a $150.00 transfer fee. Transfers are not allowed less than 7 calendar days before an event begins. The transfer fee will be assessed once the written request is received.
· Transferred registrations are not eligible for refunds of any amount.
An online exam for AST inspectors to renew their certification. If your STI Certification number begins with AST and is within 3 months of its expiration date, please select this link.
An online exam for API 653 Inspectors to obtain an STI SP001 Adjunct Certification. If your STI Certification number begins with AC, please select the link.
Commercial Metal Forming is the nation’s leading manufacturer of tank heads and tank accessories. Contact us today to find out why we believe we are ahead of the curve.www.cmforming.com
“Networking at meetings has given us new ideas to manufacture our products more efficiently.”
Mid-South Steel Products, Inc.