Longtime Supporter and Active Member of STI/SPFA and Shop-Fabricated Steel Tank Industry Elson Fernandes Passes Away
Elson Fernandes passed away on April 19th, 2022 in the company of family. Formerly of Clemmer Industries for many decades, Elson formed his own company Elfent, Inc. over two decades ago. His company, Elfent, was involved in the manufacturing and distribution of vacuum monitored tank accessories such as vents and leak detection equipment. Elson was born in Guyana and lived in Canada for all of his adult life. He regularly attending Steel Tank Institute conference with his wife of 54 year Lorraine, who passed away in 2009. He participated on many Canadian code and regulatory groups including
- CCME Code of Practice for Storage Tank Systems Containing Flammable and Combustible Liquids
- CSA B139, Installation Code for Oil Burning Equipment
- TSSA, Technical Standards & Safety Authority, with liquid fuels advisory committee
Ontario Liquids Fuel Handling Code, and Fuel Oil Code
- ULC S600A, Committee on Stationary Steel Storage Containing Flammable and Combustible Liquids
- Many individual ULC standards for various storage tank applications
Elson was very active in STAC, Steel Tank Association of Canada, until it merged into STI. He was a distributor of hundreds of thousands of nylon bushing to the steel tank industry. He was very active with methanol fuels in the early 1990’s and authored important technical papers. Those who worked and collaborated with Elson remember him as personable, known by everybody associated with shop-fabricated steel tank storage, he loved to laugh and he dedicated his entire life’s work to the steel tank industry. For more information on his family, you can read his obituary. The Steel Tank Institute/Steel Plate Fabricators Association sends our deepest sympathy to his family.
Mid-South Steel Products, Inc.